Sunday, December 13, 2009

Strange how things happen

This morning I was all about being done hunting for the year...And I was really, but as luck would have it, I shot a deer this morning. When hunting with a muzzle loader its practice to fire the loaded round when putting the weapon into storage, it possible to pull the breech plug and remove the powder and bullet, but I would rather just fire the round off...

All that said, I was going to fire the loaded round but thought I would first walk to the edge of my folks yard, which drops off abruptly down it the old creek bed...I'm doing this because I know deer bed down in this area, today was one of those days...On my hands and knees creeping around at the ridge, just out of sight of the two deer I saw, I put myself in position for a shot...Only to have the deer I was watching move into heavy brush and out of the shooting lane despite my calling to it... just then the second deer stands and walks into the lane, it was now or never...The shot wasn't great, but good enough, though the elbow and lung...The deer ran about 20 meters and expired...

No comments: