Sunday, November 26, 2006

Auto Repair

I’ve been driving this 95 ford Windstar since this spring, and it’s had a bad left front wheel bearing the whole time, the thing growled like a bear. After doing an oil change this morning I decide to take a look at the problem. After removing the wheel, brake pads, caliper, and caliper mount all of which where quite rusted, had to put the torch on the caliper mount screws to break them loose, I can remove the rotor and see that I still have to remove the 30mm axle nut, it take a bit of heat but I manage to remove it. Having gotten this far I reassemble everything knowing the next steps are no return once taken. After dinner I drove into Muskegon, picked up a new bearing, upon returning home I began the repairs.


Changing this bearing requires that the steering knuckle, which holds the bearing be removed, quite the daunting tacks when you first look at it. The removal want quite well, and all was left was to replace the old bearing with the new. After applying heat to the knuckle I used a large piece of round stock and a 3 pound lead hammer to beat out old bearing, cleaned up knuckle installed the new bearing, and decided to take a break and watch a movie with the kids.


With the kids in bed I returned to the garage to put the whole thing back together. The reassembly went very well, although I still need to pick up a new retaining bolt for the lower ball joint, it’s recommended that it not be reused, I put it in anyhow and took it for a ride. It was like a day and night difference, it even seemed like it had better pick up.

I did notice a scraping sound, probably the brake pad. What is funny about the whole thing is that I’ve been listening to this bearing noise the entire time and it cost me less than $25 to fix it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just wrote you a long comment & closed something i guess this thing & lost it--it was a long one too- i don't know if i can remember all i wrote but i was talking bout i love the pictures you put up in here & the way your blogs are so long --i cant always think of a lot to say, but i enjoy reading your blogs & looking at your pictures you post. I was trying to make a account in here & i was confused--lol. Not uncomon--but i'll try later, lol I have a headache right now, & got laundry going. I ope you had a nice thanksgiving with lots of food, family & friends, & your in good health. I ill check back later on in here-& i will save this--write anytime you want to.
Peggy