Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Right place, Right time


The Grand Rapids civic center was a smallish arena, almost intimate as arena's go. Headlining the show was Ozzy, it was the summer of 1981 August 30th. Opening for Ozzy was a little know band, Def Leppard... While not overly impressive, these guys where just kids then, they played a good set. I never really saw it coming, but as it came down out of the lights, end over end, I was there to catch it...the first of a few drum sticks I'd catch in all the shows I'd end up seeing...Surly catching a stick was high lite.But what I was most impressed with was Randy Rhodes, Ozzy's guitarist. I've seen many of the best and he was one of them. Seven months later he was gone...I'd go on to see those kids a few more times, I still got that stick...

No comments: