Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Adventure

Taking advantage of this unseasonable weather I set out on an expedition just after lunch. My aim was to scout the mosquito creek bottom and surrounding highlands for future hunting areas. Crossing mosquito creek and turning into the two-track that divides Muskegon county property from state land, I was behind a log truck slowly making its way up the track. This fall they lumbered off large sections above the creek. When looking at a clear cut area its easy for someone to note what appears as total devastation; however, it’s this type of selective clear cutting that promotes abundant wildlife. The truck pulled to a stop in the muddy track and I guided my van into a turn off. I struck up a conversation with the two foresters, I asked about their operation and about land that adjoined this property.

I set off following the creek down stream; it was easy going for the first mile or so. Soon a vast ridge was in view and it was decided that I would go up and over than around. Reaching the summit of the ridge it was only 50 feet wide but continued on to the south well out of my field of vision. I followed the ridge, at its end I found the remnants of a camp. Hearing brush breaking, I looked to the higher banks on the opposite side of the gorge to see three whitetails running up the step ravine. As I walked back up the peninsula, I spotted a bright orange fungus on a fallen tree near the bottom of the gorge, I made way down to it, stopping to take a picture. The next chapter of this journey would be called: Brush and mud. Following the creek through the thick brush and soggy ground I was pleased to see an abundance of deer sign and thinking if there was a place in Muskegon County to find a bear, it would be down here. Eventually finding a dry route out of the swamp and back up to high ground, I could hear the forester’s machinery in the distance.

The route I chose to travel on my return is across the highlands. By now my legs are fatigued, and when I finally decide to turn south and find the two-track I am glad to see I haven’t walked past my van. My goals for the day where met, I gotten a good lay of the land and some sorely needed exercise. The pleasure I derive a walk like this can’t be measured, only remembered.

No comments: